Monday, February 2, 2009

Didn't I go to England last summer?

I've been looking through my posts of the last few months and am surprised to find that I don't even seem to have mentioned my trip (July 22-August 2, 2008) to England. It was a memorable visit. But I guess with so many memorable--and challenging--things happening during 2008, I never got around to mentioning the trip to England.

At some point I'll maybe add pictures of Oxford's gleaming spires or of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London. (Note: Now added!) Just the briefest of summaries right now. I'll probably attach excerpts from the e-mails I sent home as comments.

I stayed in London, at a bed and breakfast; visited various sites in Oxford (including Blackwell's bookstore, the Ashmolean Museum, Keble College, St. Mary the Virgin Church, and, as part of a walking tour, various Inklings related sites); saw three plays in Oxford (Twelfth Night, As You Like It, and Much Ado), one in Stratford (Hamlet), and two in London (Timon of Athens and Merry Wives); visited sites in Stratford and had "tea" with Helen Hargest (a librarian there); went to various spots in London (including the Globe Theatre, Westminster Abbey, the National Portrait Gallery, and an Indian restaurant, "Masala Zone"--also ran into Chris Clark, a friend who teaches at Utah Valley University); saw old friends and made new ones at church in Oxford; and attended a C. S. Lewis conference in Oxford (lots of good presentations and interesting people, including Francis Collins, with whom I chatted briefly). At the conference, I presented a paper titled "Self and Other in Lewis and Levinas."

Here's a link to the LONG version of my account of my trip to England: http://secret-memo.blogspot.com/2009/02/england-july-22-august-2-2008.html

3 comments:

Chace & Rivka said...

Dr. Young, I've enjoyed perusing your blog and intend to check up periodically-- but only when I have time to! (It's quite addictive!) I'm so enjoying your class (again) as is my husdand. You remind me a lot of my dad, my second favorite person on earth. I think you two would be good friends. I look forward to the rest of the semester and thereafter being able still to feel your 'essence' through this delightful blog. Thanks!

-Rivka Wilcoxson (admiring student)

Bruce Young said...

Thank you! Luckily, I don't post very often, so even if you find the blog addictive, you'll only be getting small and infrequent doses.

I hope someday to meet your dad. I'm sure I'd enjoy getting to know him.

Bruce Young said...

P.S.: The EXTENDED VERSION of my account of my trip to England is found here: http://secret-memo.blogspot.com/2009/02/england-july-22-august-2-2008.html