Friday, July 11, 2008

The Past 3 1/2 Months

A paradox: the stretch of time when, perhaps more than any in my life, I've had the most news to blog about is the very one when I've had the least time to do it.

Now, with a lull of about ten days, I'm going to try to do some catching up. It's certainly possible I'll miss something, but here's a list of events worthy of at least a long blog each:

1. The death of my baby sister, 45-year-old Lynda Tuckett, on April 7.

2. More news on Margaret's documentary, including a trip to San Francisco that I got to join in (June 12-16).

3. The completion of a long-standing and challenging project: my book is finished and is scheduled for publication in December! (I turned in the last chapter on June 30.)

4. The death of my mother, Ruth Wilson Young, on July 5. The funeral took place yesterday.

And along with all of this, there was teaching Winter Semester and Spring Term, serving as the English Department ombudsman, going to a Shakespeare conference in Dallas, doing a radio interview on C. S. Lewis, and taking part in one of the most exciting political seasons in U.S. history. Since this last item included starting another blog, making phone calls to Texas and North Carolina, attending conventions, communicating with a superdelegate, checking political news constantly for a stretch of several months--and sharing the experience with my kids and especially with my wife--I should maybe post an entry on politics as well.

But certainly items 1 and 4 are the most significant, and I have much to share about those two great women--my sister and my mother--who recently made the journey from this world to another.

No comments: